Waterford Winterval – Santa gets the Green Light
There is a saying “Where there’s light, there’s hope” and this year more than ever, the organisers of Winterval and Waterford City & County Council believe this to be true.
Winterval has always been about the people of Waterford, and the Winterval team has been working hard to bring some much-needed Christmas magic to the city for 2020, and while there may be some of the big elements missing, there is a genuine feeling of tradition, hope and unity in this year’s offering.
Safety has always been paramount and even more so for 2020…adhering to government measures the Winterval team is delighted to be able to bring you a unique, FREE, contactless Santa visit, right in the heart of the city, you can still visit the big man in his snow globe, and get a fun pic with him (either taken with your own camera, or you can opt for the professional picture), book now on Winterval.ie
– Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas in Waterford without the Waterford Eye, and thankfully it doesn’t have to be – the iconic Eye will return to the quay thanks to sponsors Bausch & Lomb, so your family group can fly high above the ground and see the beautiful city from a 32M height.
– Post your letters to the big man at the Giant Postbox, take the family on an all-new magic reindeer ride in John Robert’s Square, enjoy a spin on the Vintage Ferris Wheel, slide down the Helter Skelter, snap a pic at the Polar Bear Selfie station, and treat yourself to a sweet or savoury snack from the Micro-market.
– Find the Nutcracker Trail to uncover Santa’s Secret message with your family, follow the map, and get your clue from each life-sized Nutcracker (another perfect photo op too).
– Get your fill of festive arts with audio drama, The Snow Queen from Garter Lane.
– Follow the adventures of Grainne and Caoimhin from November 23rd, their story will keep you enthralled and waiting in anticipation for the next instalment. Book your place on Garterlane.ie and you will also receive beautifully illustrated story packs, posted directly to your home.
Waterford City & County Council assure visitors that safety is they first priority!
“We have always applied the highest safety standards to Winterval and 2020 will be no different. The Winterval festival has been designed to maximise space for queuing while allowing ample room for social distancing.
All attractions will have hand sanitising stations at entry and exit and the attractions and equipment will be regularly sanitised. There will be a dedicated crew to help facilitate social distancing at each attraction and we look forward to a safe and socially distanced festival while still bringing the joy of Christmas to Waterford City Centre.”
As the nights draw in and the evenings get darker, the spirit of Christmas will still be alive in Ireland’s oldest city, Waterford City and County Council have added new festive lighting, including spotlights on some of Waterford’s most famous landmarks, like the Clock Tower, The Granary, The Plaza and The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity. As you follow this light trail, why not shop local in Waterford City and enjoy the window displays as part of #WindowsOfWinterval Spot installations from Spraoi, Waterford Walls, Momentum Events and Every Event, get involved by voting for your favourite shop to be in with a chance to win prizes.
Although this year’s Winterval will have changes because of the times we are in – it is bringing us back to basics, a simpler time when light and hope was all that was needed.
Winterval 2020 is supported by Waterford City & County Council and Failte Ireland
Pictured in Waterford, Santa gets the green light for Winterval 2020 place from December 4th – 23rd. Bookings now open for Santa visits at Winterval.ie
(Picture: Patrick Browne)